Monday, October 17, 2005

No longer La Vida Loca

In the 1990's I loved Ricky Martin. Laugh at me all you want, but it's the truth. My friend Carolyn handed over his album to be when she moved on to Jay-Z. And while I wasn't a big fan of Ricky's ballads, I loved all the other booty-shakin' songs on it... they were supreme songs for liberating my Latina goddess within.

Then, after the success of La Vida Loca, Ricky disappeared for several years-- leaving only the memory of his tight trousers and embroidered shirts to carry me through lonely evenings. I wait, in vain it seemed, for Ricky to come back.

It seems now he has. Ricky will be releasing a new album very soon, entitled "Life."

While I'm still totally in love with him, he has lost a little street cred, at least as far as this girl is concerned. I just don't know that he's earned the right to title an album "Life." I don't know that anyone ever has or will ever have. As far as I know, not even melancholy poets release collections of poems called "Life."

Come on, Ricky Martin; you're awesome, but you could've chosen a more modest album title, which could express a portion of the vastness of "Life." Some ideas: One Day, Today, Tomorrow, Yesterday, One Moment, One Second, One nanosecond. I could go on. But, suffice it to say that singing about "Life" takes longer than 12-14 songs. Or, at least it would if I were the one doing this album.