Thursday, September 29, 2005

Snot floats

One shouldn't be surprised at this, I guess, but bogeys do indeed float. I found this out earlier this AM, when I was giving Evan his bath, and his nostrils were so moist that when he exhaled, it just flew out his nose and skidded on the surface of the water-- like a mucus-coated pebble.

I have to say this wasn't the worst part. I've seen some gross things in my short career as a parent, but what comes after is one of the grossest.

As I was draining the water from the tub, Evan kept trying to catch the booger to play with it. It was so heavy that it resisted the flow of the water, and didn't even go down the drain, but remained trapped in the grate. The stubborn sticky little bitch.

I wiped it out with a Kleenex, marvelling at how the color changed from green to gray in warm water... and also marvelling at my ability to marvel at such a thing. The trappings of motherhood are for the lionhearted, not those easily sickened by fluids and the like.