Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Scharffen-Berger Principle

Lucky me!

Friday AM, I took Evan out for some time on the town. We stopped at Tuma's Country Gourmet, the closest thing Mt. Pleasant has to a strictly import/specialty grocery. Well, at least it WAS the closest thing Mt. Pleasant had to a strictly import/specialty grocery.

It's been sold, and bought by a friendly Indian man with an impressively large moustache and a long beard. I'm not sure what his new plans are for the store, but at the moment, everything is 70% off-- baskets, coffee, chocolate, cooking implements, etc. I bought a 275g bar of Scharffen-Berger 62% cocoa chocolate, which had been retailing for $11.99, for only $3.60.

Then I came home, melted it, mixed up a chocolate ganache, and dipped some lovely red grapes into it. (I've always wanted to try this, based on a dessert my friend Chris had at an Italian restaurant somewhere on her travels) I put it in the fridge, waited until it solidified a bit, and had a great dessert to serve my friend Wendy--a chocolate-loving, dog-loving, patchouli-wearing slip of a girl who needs more food in her life.

So, here it is, folks, the Scharffen-Berger principle: if you have a chance to get a great deal on a rich thing, an extravagant thing you want but usually wouldn't think of getting--if it's the last one on the shelf-- GET IT. It's probably a tool to realize a dream or concretize a great idea!