Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A Student Teacher

Today a student questioned my methods...

I'd divided them up into groups, based on the results of a self-diagnostic test they took. I looked at everyone's lowest score in a certain area, and stuck those with common numbers together.

My student said he wondered if it would be better to have a balance of students who had strengths in that area, and students with weaknesses. A class discussion ensued: two defended my reasoning very solidly.

Later on, he came up to me to apologize, saying he hadn't meant to be disrespectful to me. Not at all, I said, this class is the perfect place to discuss something like that. It shows you're engaging in critical thinking, and that you're doing a good job with the material presented to you.

I was so proud of him I almost cried.