Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Believe me, I had other plans

Evan's been on an antibiotic for the past week to kill off any traces of a cold-turned-sinus-infection. He handled the antibiotic pretty well the first few days. Over the weekend, he developed the worst case of diaper rash/burn-butt I've yet seen-- the result of many many poopy diapers-- far more than normal. Aveeno baths didn't work; Aveeno lotion didn't work; he was screaming and arching his back when ever he had to lay down for someone to change his diaper.

Last night, he was in so much pain after yet another crappy diaper change that I gave him some Motrin just so his little ass/little body could get some relief and sleep. I also vowed to stop his course of antibiotics, no matter what, because I surely wasn't going to send him to school with fire-ass. It was getting really traumatic for ME. I was crying while I was rocking him in the chair last night.

After an early AM call to his doc, who did say it was OK for Evan to stop taking his antibiotic today (having been on it for a week), I decided to keep him home from school to agressively treat the problem. The treatment involves this: changing Evan's diaper every two hours, gently patting the affected area with a damp washcloth, and letting him air dry, naked from the waist down, for as long as he's comfortable. What this has meant: Evan's watched a lot of TV today, laying on a blanket on the floor. It's the only way to keep him still, thus confining the area of potential arc-ing piss accidents to a small space.

(Aside: I just had my little perc of coffee on the stove, and let it cook too long. It's probably going to taste like burning now. How fitting: I spend the day tending to Evan's ass, and my fave beverage is going to taste exactly the same way.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Desitin (sp?) is by far the best thing for this kind of rash. (Assuming that it wasn't a yeast infection from the antibiotic, that is.) It is almost inpenetrable and can only be completely removed by adding vasaline to the mix and wiping with soft cloth or tissue. Also, use your blowdryer to completely dry his bumm at diaper changes. Poor little goober, I hope he feels better soon.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home