Sunday, February 06, 2005

How I wish for water

I woke up this AM to a very bad surprise. Almost as bad as finding a nuclear bomb in the bottom of the toilet while you're sitting on it. No, really. No water coming out either shower; no water spewing out either bathroom sink; and only a trickle-- enough to wash Evan's bottles--from the kitchen sink. I held an expectant hand under the faucet as Helen Keller did her well-spout, waiting, desperately hoping that liquid salvation would leak out, so I could shout "WAH! WAH!" Of course, this didn't happen.

As I've said before, this apartment is probably the nicest place we've lived (not including my parent's house). It's spacious, new, and convenient to campus locations. The downside to it definitely has to be the number of problems we've had since moving in: a completely clogged kitchen sink took two weeks to fix, the burnt-out kitchen lightbulb has yet to be replaced after waiting at least ten days (on one hand, it's just a lightbulb-- but on the other, it's a lightbulb! Send out one guy to change all burnt-out lightbulbs on campus. How long could it take?), and now, this gem of a problem.

I called emergency building maintenance. Apparently they've been inundated with calls reporting the very same thing. The operator told me a pipe burst, and there were several guys already working on it. The bas news, he said, was that the water might not be on until 8:00 PM this evening. I don't care, so long as it's back on TODAY.

A few hours without water and suddenly everything's changed. Evan smells a lot worse: like a combination of baby wipes, milk-laced drool, and dirty hair. I seem to be sweating a lot more. I'm pretty sure we're going to go moldy by 2:00 PM. I can't wait until the evening when I can shower, bathe Evan, and cook the beans I've been soaking since last night.

Thank God the effin' toilet still flushes.