Thursday, December 30, 2004

Join the BEOMC today!

Today, on bus 11 home from Westmoreland Street, I saw something very strange. Such sightings seldom occur on Bus 11. While I've seen my share of scarf-headed old ladies with beards, moms with prams, and kids with skateboards-- today's vision was so rare and so unique that I doubt I'll ever see it again.

There were three old guys, all about 85, all wearing the same style cap in a different color or tweed, each sitting on their own seat with a bag or something propped next to them. And they each had HUGE ears. I'm not talking about big ears, or even impressively big ears, but HUGE ears-- the kind that made me wonder why any of these guys even bothered with a scarf, the lobes hung so low. In a pinch, they might also be used as a napkin; in a fit of anger, as a tool for slapping those who've misbehaved.

For these men, and others like them, I have invented the BEOMC-- The Big-Eared Old Man's Club. Those interested in membership should send a photo of their ears, accurate measurements of the ear-to-head ratio (number for ears must be larger than head circumference), and a short essay on the topic of why your ears deserve to be heard, to my home address in the USA. Membership will be granted based on the chance that you're clever enough to amuse me, and that your ears are indeed so large that even Dumbo would make fun of you. Good luck to all potential members.