Thursday, December 23, 2004

'Tis the Season

Christmas has arrived, wearing its tinsel-covered, jingle-belled, red-nose dress of glory. Tomorrow evening, like many people, I will go to church in hopes of singing "Come Emmanuel" while the acrid smell of incense burns my nostrils. I'll enjoy exchanging the sign of peace with other smiling Catholics, and saying "Happy Christmas" to them. I'll enjoy my day at home as I make preparations for Amy and David's arrival on 12/26, which is still a proper holiday here-- St. Stephen's Day.

As far as I can tell, in Ireland, Christmas means eating lots of junk and sitting on the couch watching movie after movie on RTE 2. That is, doing nothing at all-- but with family and friends close by; so, a whole bunch of people doing nothing together. The chance to do nothing thrills a lot of people. I'm not one of them.

To have a mind full of nothing, and to have a plate with nothing left on it doesn't seem festive, it seems comatose. That is why, during this Christmas, when I am far away from my friends and family, I will be filling my head with memories of Christmases past and creating dreams of future ones, where I'll be with my husband and kid(s), and my sisters and their spouses and kids at my parent's house.

Christmas makes us all feel a little magical. And yes, I am aware of how hokey that sounds, how un-writerly, and how much like a sorority girl opening a gift from her Secret Santa. However, there's a lot of truth in that as well.

So, this season, I extend my love and thanks to all the family and friends who care enough to look after Evan, Andrew, and myself, even though we are so far away. It means the world to us that we'll have gifts to open underneath our Christmas plant (Po' Bastards don't spring for trees, fake or not), and that we'll get the chance to thank many of you via phone on Christmas Day, or in person when you come to visit (with a sack of toiletries, Tuna Helper, and diapers under your arm).

Ho-ho-ho, we ain't got no snow!