Saturday, December 04, 2004

Rhymes with Fame....

Today Andrew, Evan, and I headed downtown to complete a number of tasks: 1) get my copy of Nigella Lawson's Feast signed by the Domestic Goddess Herself at the Dublin Bookshop in Grafton Street, 2) exchange a Celtic ring I bought for Andrew's Xmas gift, it was too large, and 3) select some Christmas gifts for Evan. I am glad to say we completed our tasks, the first two without much joy, which I will explain below.

Nigella Lawson is as beautiful in person as she is in her books and on TV. She wasn't very smiley and wasn't very chatty, but she travelled without a ton of assistants-- just her publicist, and two guys who sort of helped usher the crowd in and out. The bookstore only blocked off one hour for the signing. I got there 1/2 an hour early-- Andrew and Evan safely stowed at Burger King next door, got my ticket (like at a deli counter-- I was #39), and waited. I was one of the last people to get inside the store, they handed out more tickets after, and people had to wait outside. The bookstore managers came around with post-it notes and pens, saying, "It will just save time if you write your name, or whatever you want Nigella to write inside your book on this paper, that way she can just copy it down." That way she can copy it down, and pretty much avoid all interaction with you whatsoever, is what they meant.

#38 in line was a 16 year old kid, who was a surprisingly entertaining conversationalist. His father, who died in 2000, was a well-known Irish journalist who'd interviewed Nigella and John Diamond, her late husband. Apparently, it was a very touching article that made a big impression on John Diamond, who died a few months later from cancer. This young man didn't have a book for Nigella to sign, but he did have a candy bracelet for her. He approached the table, and after a long time trying to make Nigella guess who he was, finally introduced himself as this deceased journalist's son. Nigella said something to him like, "Oh, wow, I'm very pleased to meet you. Your dad was so great..." and then the kid scored her publicist's card, and promised to get in touch with them on Monday.

I said hello-I'm-a-big-fan-have-all-your-stuff-in-hardback. Nigella's publicist said, "Thanks so much. We're so glad."

So, while it was interesting to see Nigella Lawson in person, and while I will always buy her books and continue to cook from them, I also learned a lesson for my own future book signings: make eye contact, smile, love the people who love you. I could've become great friends with her, but #38 ruined it for me with the story about his dad! Some people have no concern for others' feelings.

My three most memorable brushes with fame: 1) seeing Anita Baker as Detroit's Thanksgiving Day Parade Marshal, sometime in the 1980's-- I was about 10 and after that became huge Anita Baker fan, 2) waiting on the steps at Graceland, and 3) having Nigella Lawson sign my beloved copy of Feast. There are a few others: I did have dinner with Robert Creeley during graduate school; and one time, in New York, I think I saw Toni Collette of Muriel's Wedding at the MoMa. I also did get backstage at a few small punk shows in my late teens. But, to be honest, not one of these experiences tops seeing my own face in the mirror every day, knowing that I am the next great American novelist.... but no one's figured it out yet.