Sunday, February 05, 2006

My only Claim to Superbowl Fame

Everyone who know me knows I could give a shit about sports. While I think it's important to lead an active lifestyle, if only to avoid secretary spread and to sweat away alcohol, I think sports-- with all their rules, uniforms, and strategic plans-- are simply a means of getting people to conform through groupthink, an invitation to step into the box.

Anywho, Detroit is hosting the Superbowl this year. This is big news for the Motor City, mostly because it's a miracle they can host any kind of event, considering many neighborhoods there can't manage to create a viable economy or a safe community for its residents. My dearest friend Carolyn works downtown, and she predicts all the businesses that opened in preparation for the Superbowl will close immediately after the Steelers leave town. I can't vouch for this, as I no longer live in the metro-Detroit area, but I'd say hers is a pretty educated guess.

One thing I do want to say about the Superbowl (well, mostly about the Steelers-- or a Steeler, I should say), is that I used to work with Jerome Bettis' cousin, Lewanda. She told me a lot of great stories about his charity foundation work, and his love for and generousity toward his friends and family. In short, I always came away with the vision of a deeply devoted and heroic altruist. If I believed in sports, or if I played them myself, I'd want to play on a team with someone like Jerome Bettis. I Bettis the best thing we could do, is learn to be Bettis-er versions of ourselves.

So, tonight, if you are sitting in front of your telly, watching the Superbowl and eating a hoagie and potato skins and drinking beer, remember to share your provisions. And keep a close eye on Jerome Bettis, who will be doing good things for his team, and then for himself.