Monday, January 23, 2006

ESB (Early Semester Blues)

So, I'm working a lot more these days. I was fed up with semi-retirement... more time to do things (like watch FoodTV) can get sort of boring.

While I'm only teaching nine credits (you need 12 to be considered full-time adjunct faculty), I have five classes. And, sometimes, part-time work can feel full-time... especially when my students, lovely young people though they are, have issues with turning in assignments only half done-- and this, when I've taken care to list at the bottom of the assignment sheet: "On the day this assignment is due, you will hand in four documents. These four documents are..."

Hm. Nothing like clear expectations that are still unclear. God bless 'em; God love 'em; God, make 'em READ and PAY ATTENTION.

What else is new, you ask? Andrew has a tenure-track job interview at a tiny college called MCLA in Massachusetts. I've been invited to go as well-- I'll see the campus and the town, etc. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up on my FoodTV viewing late at night in our hotel room.