Thursday, July 14, 2005

Two weeks to go....

So, you're probably thinking, what's the point of an update when I'll be home in two weeks? Well, it's because lots and lots of things have happened since I last updated, including a grand visit from my mom and dad, a wee visit to Kilkenny, a 4th of July Bash at the US Ambassador's house, and then some...

First: Munka Benzin is with child, heaving and happy in her morning sickness! Her initiation to the Muthahood will complete on 3/2/06-- give or take a few days. HOLLA!

Second, but in the same vein: my sister, Amy-also-pregnant, but massively, hugely pregnant, so much so that she has to sleep sitting up-- will join the Muthahood definitely by 7/31/05. She prays for an early delivery: the doctor has said, "This child is BIG." May we dance round our gardens with daisy chains in our hair and sacrifice tree frogs so the gods will smile upon Our Amy! Deliver! Deliver! Deliver! HOLLA!

So, yes, a visit from my mom and dad. It was great to have extra help with Evan, who accomplished many things while they were here: he had his first visit to the Zoo, developed a greater interest in walking, and also rode his first train and spent his first night in a hotel.

My mom, dad, Evan and I went to Kilkenny for a two-nights stay. It is a very Irish city about a 2.5 hrs. train ride from DUB. We stayed in the Hotel Ormonde just outside the castle walls, and the accommodation was first-rate familyness. They even had Pack-n-Plays available at the hotel so that was one thing we didn't have to cart around. Evan didn't care much about Kilkenny itself, just about crawling under the beds in the hotel room. Having said that, I did like Kilkenny, the castle is one of the best I've seen, and I bought some earrings off this nice old lady in St. Canice's Cathedral who told me I looked "too young to be a mum." She guessed I was 18... but that's only because she was about 70... I guess age is all relative.

On July 2, Andrew and I went to a Fourth of July party at the US Ambassador's house. It was an interesting event: Guinness and Bud on tap (if that isn't a perfect illustration of Irish/American friendship, I don't know what is), "Taste of Chicago" themed-buffet (Ambassador James Kenny is from Chicago, hence the theme), private fireworks show, deluxe porta-loos that kept losing electricity, Pat Boone singing "America the Beautiful" in a bright green blazer (doing his leprechaun impression?), one of the actors from Law and Order: SVU ( I don't know his name, all I know it wasn't Ice-T, so who cares), several interesting conversations with people who work for the military, or in the embassy, or are somehow important to Ireland and America maintaining our drunken state of marital bliss. Oh yeah, and free boxes of Frango chocolates as a parting gift. I forgot to add that our cab on the way in got swept for bombs. The driver loved every minute of it.

Sadness: London bombing. Optimism: these people know how to cope with terrorist attacks better than "surprised" Americans-- they had their asses handed to them World War II, and several times since-- details? Ask Andrew.

Strange: only two weeks left here. Happiness: coming home. Sadness: leaving.