Wednesday, June 01, 2005

For my Scrapbook: Evan's First Proper Barf

Andrew's family (Mom, and Aunts Vonnie and Becky) are visiting us until Friday, 6/3. They were kind enough to relieve us of our parenting duties late this afternoon and early this evening, so we went out on the Dublintown-- just to some shops and to an Italian Taverna in Meeting House Square.

Then we came home, and then I stopped in on my friend Niall to make some arrangements about seeing a movie next week, and then I went back home, where I was greeted with the following sights, sounds, and smells: Aunt Vonnie, bent over rubbing carpet with handtowel; Aunt Becky, rifling through Evan's drawer for clean PJ's; Marcie, holding screaming Evan; Andrew, frantically searching bathroom cupboard for infant Motrin. Me: come home in the midst of the Sick Circus, going, "What's going on?" trying to give directions as to where to find things like medication and clean PJ's, etc. Meanwhile: smell of regurgitated Heinz Mixed Fruit.

It had to happen sometime, this barf thing. And I knew it was coming. I really did. I just didn't think it would be anytime while Evan was a little vulnerable precious person living under my roof. I thought it might happen when he's in college, gone on a bender, and come home to spray it in his own toilet (that he must get up and clean in the AM).

We'll see what tomorrow holds. Hopefully Evan will wake up and be his usual Happy Dude. If not, I see a visit to Dr. McHugh in our near future. And a big bottle of Calpol for Evan, and a big bottle of Something Else for me.