Friday, January 05, 2007

One Would Think....

I might've had the time or energy to update this over the entire Winter Break. After I finished grading final exams, I sat around at home and finished getting reaqdy for the holiday season-- a little baking, a little shopping, a little wrapping, etc. After a good festive Christmas Eve with my MIL we went down to Troy to be with my side of the fam for Christmas Day.

Evan and I spent a week in Troy; Andrew came back up to Mt P to write and write some more (with favorable results, I might add-- last night, about 9:00 PM, I got a phone call from Andrew--who was at his office-- saying that he'd completed the draft of that-bitch-of-a-thing-we-call-the-dissertation. Call me selfish, but I hope that I'll be allowed to be married to my husband now-- that I'll be able to command all his attention, all the time, and that I will finally be able to build the bathroom of my dreams-- with side-by-side his and hers toilets, that we can use at exactly the same moments every single day...)

So, while Andrew typed away, Evan and I spend a lot of time having a lot of FUN! Here are some highlights:

1. Evan turned 3. We had a Curious George-themed party. I spent a crap load on decorations and such, only to have Evan refuse to eat at the table with everyone, refuse to wear the party hat, and also refuse that I wear a party hat ("No, Mom, no hoo-hoo hat. Off with that.")

2. Evan got about 1000 Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars of all varieties. He got a crap ton of other toys as well-- but none more played with than the cars and trucks. We spent a large portion of every day playing cars... parking them, crashing them, driving them on one another's heads and arms, etc.

3. I rung in the New Year in the company of my beloved Grandmother; my sister Angela and her fiance, Kevin, and realized-- for certain-- that Carson Daly sucks serious ass. He basically produced a New Year's Rockin' Eve that only people ages 18-25 with absolutely no personality would like. If I was one of the people ringing in the New Year in Times Square, I would've felt truly gypped. They confetti engineer would've done a better job designing some razor-sharp pieces that would fallen conveniently (and solely) on Carson Daly.

4. I had a very good meal with two dearest friends, Monica and Chris. It was sushi. I don't know crap about sushi. So, I said, you order whatever you want and I'll try it, but please no eel. They liked ordering for us; they are experienced sushi-eaters. As much as I enjoyed the experience and the food, and would most definitely eat sushi again, I kept looking for a bowl of rolls on the table. It never appeared. I went home and had a bowl of chili with beans. I can't be filled on seaweed, rice, and fish alone. This is further proof that I am indeed a man. A man with a hollow leg. The restaurant did make a very good, smooth, dirty martini.

5. I got a gift certificate to TJ Maxx. My favorite store (other than Avoca in Dublin). I was upset with myself having to buy workout pants, which I desperately needed, but hated to buy. Xmas money is for something a little wacky, indulgent, etc. Luckily, since I didn't spend all the cash, I redeemed myself this evening buying a pair of coppery colored pointy-toed boots, which I will rock with, well, whatever I want.

6. Evan started a language-intensive early childhood program. He goes five mornings a week, from 8:50-11:20. I went to school with him the first day, but he hasn't appeared to need me since. The past two days I've gone to pick him up from the playground only to find him pushing other children around on the fire-engine bike. He's adapted well to all the changes so far. The teachers love him and comment that he is a very good listener. I believe he will continue to grow and change with this experience.

7. Evan refuses to wear sweaters. Only long-sleeved t-shirts will do.

8. Classes start on 1/8. I'm ready. I think.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the hoo hoo hat comment evan made has gained big popularity at our house. the party hats you sent home with us are on our kitchen table, and at least once a day darryl or i catch sight of them and say to each other, with appropriate solemnity, "NO, mama. No hoo hoo hat."
kaelyn enjoyed her party favors, and is trying vainly to teach beatrix how to blow into the recorder. so far, we have a champion drooler but no smooth jazz flows from the lips of our baby. she's young, yet, though, and i'm sure she'll thank you in the liner notes of her first all-recorder-and-bells album.
xoxo,
monica

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home