Friday, November 05, 2004

Washer Woman

A few weeks back, Andrew and I decided to purchase a very important piece of equipment for our house. It isn't a hand mixer, because it would be sheer frivolity to indulge my baking hobby on a Po' Bastard budget; and it isn't a bread box; or a toast rack (God, I love those things); or a broom. It is a laundry rack. Excuse me. It is a Clothes Airer.

This Clothes Airer is about 5 feet high, has three sturdy tiers, and can be folded up to fit in a pocket. Just kidding on that last one. This Clothes Airer has become the bane of my existence. While we will save 130.00 Euro this year since I'm no longer putting clothes in the dryer, I will not, not, not save any TIME. I do about 4-6 loads of laundry per week, depending on how many accidents Evan has, or whether or not the sheets need to be washed, etc.

Doing the laundry goes like this: I put Evan in his jacket, I put him in the strap-on, I load up the bags (there's never only ONE), I load my pockets with packets of detergent and change, and I walk like a camel carrying a nomad's tent across campus. The laundry room isn't far away, but it's very far away when carrying lots of stuff.

DCU has about 10,000 students. Not all live on campus, probably only a few thousand do. There are NINE washers and NINE dryers to service that many people. Thankfully, another laundry room opened last week. Now there are 18 washers and dryers. Clearly, this is Easy Street.